Monday, April 09, 2012

Holy Week 2012

Me and my family spent the Holy Week in my mom's farm in Mabitac, Laguna. It's a 4 hour drive from Manila but we left home a little bit late so we got stuck in traffic for 6 hours. We went to 8 different churches and it was crowded everywhere. My mom even planned to go to Kamay ni Jesus but we didn't push through because we anticipated the amount of people rushing in the area and with the summer heat...i didnt even think that's a good idea. Probably, next time. 

I seriously don't even remember the last time I went out for Visita Iglesia. I spent most of my Holy Week at home which doesn't really bother me (or maybe I just got used to it). So, it was actually a great thing that I came with my relatives to Laguna and witness the different ways of how people celebrate this Holy Week. Truly, it is only through lived experiences that you appreciate other people's way of living. One that I was able to see was the "penitensya" which involves cutting the flesh on one's back and walking under the heat of the sun, half naked with a mask, while holding a rope with metals at the end and slashing your back with it. This wasn't actually the first time that I saw this. 8 years ago, I celebrated my Holy week in Laguna as well and it was way worse before. There was really blood everywhere and no, it did not scare me. I was 11 years old then and believe me...those religious practices actually amused me (gah, I was probably a sadist in my previous life :p). Most people would say that they just do it during Holy Week so that God will forgive them for their sins. However, after a while, they go back to their usual routine - whatever it is (raping women, adultery, theft, slander, etc). That fact kind of makes me angry to be honest and it's also saddening that people take God's love for granted. I do not know who to blame. I mean, you can't just get infuriated at people for stealing because you'll never get to know the reason behind their story (like, his mother is probably on the verge of dying and he needs money for surgery, medicines, hospital bills and the like). Oh well, the world is filled with envy, pride, greed and domination. It is basically up to you on how to change yourself and live for the better - y'know, be wiser, be more knowledgeable, more people-loving and kind hearted. 

Anyway, Holy week is about reflection and moving on. It's about being thankful for having a God - no matter how much others think that there is no such thing. People say the only thing that is constant is change but I would also like to add that in my life, GOD, is probably the most constant thing. I know that whatever will happen to me I will continue on Believing. I may not be able to honor the sabbath day every Sunday but I BELIEVE and I WILL LIVE His words and I guess out of everything else, that is the most important. 








No comments:

Post a Comment