Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A father's day Tribute.


There is a man - strong, faithful and valiant - who would courageously cross the vast oceans carrying with him his lonely and home sicked heart warmed and consoled only by the array of constellations in the black sky. The ever so present sound of the ship engine makes him remember that he is a man, a father, a husband and a son who needs to sacrifice his petty happiness to earn a living for his family. The gentle waves ease the solitary passer-by in the middle of Pacific who wishes nothing but to go home. Every 6 months, he would leave in the busy city of Manila his loving wife and 3 children. His journey across the seas made him regret a lot of things.  


His profession denied him of seeing his children at graduation day, being at their birthday parties and spending special holidays with the whole family. This man never witnessed how his children grow or how his wife was being the best at her profession. He is only able to see his children through their voices over the phone from the other side of the world. Hearing his wife’s not-so-gentle but loving voice gives him the strength and energy to continue. This man misses the feeling of being hugged, being taken care of and being in good company. He rarely gets the chance to make a phone call. He gets worried every minute thinking if everyone back home is ok. It saddens him even more when his loved ones get sick and he can’t be there physically but only financially. Amidst the unforgiving workplace, he continued to sail because there are people who need him. This man works as a seafarer. This man is my dad.

Technically, I have spent half of my life without my father at my side. Having no dad for 5-6 months a year is terribly despairing. However, as I was growing, I realized that it was even more painful for him. My dad who appears to be so manly happens to cry at the airport every time he leaves for work. Sometimes, he would just wish to stay but that would mean sending me and my siblings to public schools, living in a small house, giving a lot of burden to my mom, no medications for my grandparents, etc. We need money. So, reality says he has no choice.

My dad has sacrificed a lot of things in life (His dreams, his own happiness) like the other hundreds of seafarers in the world. The mental strength needed at the sea is far greater than anything you can imagine. Some of you would probably get dizzy in just a few hours stay on the ship and some would go crazy with boredom. What more for days? Weeks? Months? What more during the freezing breeze of winter, the intolerable heat of summer and the wrath of typhoons? My dad was able to survive all that. My dad crosses the waters and he never let it break him or push him down.  He works hard not for his own good but for me, for my siblings, for my mom, for our relatives.


Even though my dad was not physically present all the time, he made sure that family time is very well spent when he’s home.  He makes potato salad, French toasts, buys milk and makes sure that we all go to church every Sunday. Sometimes, my dad makes a good housewife than my mom. I’m guessing it’s like that with all seafarers. My dad’s brothers are all seafarers as well and I think it’s a common trait that they can be the sweetest thing on Earth – my dad being the sweetestest.

This coming seafarers’ day, I would like to give a salute to all the seafarers around the globe. Your job is no way easy. Your dedication is boundless. Your perseverance is immeasurable. You sacrifices are unfathomable. Your strength is massive. Your faithfulness is beyond what mine can comprehend. Your bravery in facing the danger of each day is astounding. Your love is unconditional. All of these are written in the sea foams of the shore, echoed by the chirps of the birds flying in the docks, lighted by the North star and told countless of times by the thousands of waves you have met throughout your journey. May the world be inspired by your stories!

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment