Thursday, August 18, 2011

On surgery

Today, I circulated in on an orthopaedic surgery and the procedure was called "plating and grafting of left femur." It was one of the most amazing things and probably the most striking and impressive surgery i've ever seen so far. I was inside the operating room for almost five hours but that didn't bother me because the seen in front of me was just pure greatness. I thought ortho cases were boring but I was totally wrong because MAN! EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED INSIDE THAT OR WAS HARD CORE! Makes me want to pursue surgery more. :D

Becoming a surgeon entails a lot of hardwork and time. Things have to be sacrificed and you may lose yourself on the way but the fact that there's something great in the end, that feeling of happiness that scrolls down your spine because you know you've done something good...then it's its all worth the wait. 

It's really fascinating how surgeons could chitchat about basketball games, tell jokes, laugh, and listen to music during procedures...well maybe it just goes to show how they're prepared for what they're about to do and that they already know their art very well. I'm still wondering though if i could make it to that point.  The years of studying - i'm not sure if i can take that :| The errors i might commit scares me... or getting scolded at by residents and consultants..that scares me too. I really don't know what will my job be in the future but I do know that there's only one place where i would like to work and that's the Operating Room. Everything is just simply amazing there :D

p.s. i really do not know the reason as to why head surgeons leave the OR after the surgery and hand over the work of suturing to the interns and residents. I believe, as what nursing has taught me, that we're meant to take care of our patients from the day we handled them until they're completely well. If i were the head surgeon,  I'd want to be with the patient throughout the surgery from the start of incison until the dressing of the site. the interns can do the suturing but id still be there in the OR. I'd want to be the first person to tell the patient that the surgery was a success even if they're not as conscious or even if they couldn't hear me. Even if it takes  hours for the suturing to be finished, i wouldn't mind the wait not because it's my job as a doctor but most importantly because it's my part as a human being - to be humane...to respect patients. I dont want to feel like i'm God in the OR as if i have the total capability of healing people.

I'm not saying though that surgeons are inhumane or anything like that. Surgeons are great people. I'm just saying that it's nicer if medical people would focus more on the core of their job which is - to cure care.

No comments:

Post a Comment